Week of Dec 10th through Dec 17th
Did You Know?
As artificial intelligence becomes increasingly popular for generating images, the art world is struggling with the question: Is an AI image considered art?
Using technologies such as 3D printing and Photoshop have been commonplace in art. But these new text-to-image systems like DALL-E, Stable Diffusion and Midjourney can pump out impressive images at lightning speed. Millions of people have flocked to these AI systems and they are already being used to create experimental films, magazine covers and images to illustrate news stories.
Yet while these systems are gaining ground, they’re also courting controversy. For instance, when an image generated with Midjourney recently won an art competition at the Colorado State Fair, it caused an uproar among artists.
- The LEC will be closed December 18th through January 1st. We hope you have a wonderful holiday season. Can’t wait to see you all again in the New Year.
- All art submissions for the Florida State Fair are due January 3rd and MUST be wired correctly. On Wednesday Jan 3rd Tim will be hosting a Wiring Class from 12-1pm. Bring in your piece so that we can guide you through wiring it correctly. Anything NOT wired correctly will be given back to you and not taken to the fair.
- The 2023 Anthology Creative Fire: Embers and Ashes is available! Its ready for purchase on Amazon from the Life Enrichment Center’s page at the following link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CPDH4HQ3?ref_=pe_93986420_774957520
- Artist Conversations is January 10th. We are bringing in a TBA Guest Speaker from 12 to 1. There will be light refreshments provided.
- Photo Club has issued December’s challenge: “December Holiday Cheer”. Lights and decorations, day and night, submit your photos and join the photo club on December 20th at 1:30pm on Zoom.
- Are You Interested In Mah Jongg? The LEC is still looking for a Mah Jongg instructor. The sign up sheet is on the resource table in the activity room or you can email us at [email protected].
- Beginners Conversational Spanish with Ricardo Cruz is on Thursday mornings from 10 to noon. It begins on January 11th and runs through February 15th. We need to know if you will be attending, please call or email the LEC or tell Morgan.
- We are looking for volunteers for the Florida State Fair to demo their preferred art medium or craft. Shifts are 3 hours from 10am to 1pm or 11am to 2pm. We ask for one volunteer per day, per shift. The sign up sheet is on the resource table.
- Julie Buchanan is going to be giving a Diamond Art instructional class on January 9th and 16th from 1 to 3pm. We will have the kits available for purchase or you may bring your own.
- Are You Interested In learning Encaustic Painting? Saturday January 13th from 9 to 3 Francine is teaching an Encaustic Painting class. It is one day only and you will be leaving with two, beautiful finished pieces. The cost for members is $50 and includes your supplies. This type of art involves a hot wax medium mixed with pigment and a prepared wood board or canvas. Don’t miss out on your chance to learn about this unique technique. Sign up is available on the resource table.