Week of Jan 14th – Jan 20th
Did You Know?
Diamond Painting has really taken off in the last couple of years.
“Diamond painting (also known as crystal art) is the process of applying tiny resin rhinestones (known as “diamonds”) to a pre-printed design, usually an adhesive board to create sparkling, vibrant and uplifting pieces of mosaic-style art.”
With hundreds if not thousands of kits available you can create anything from Van Gogh’s Starry Night to a custom piece made from your own photography. Many come already in a frame, allowing Diamond Artists to hang their work immediately.
It has proven to be therapeutic, promoting mindfulness. It’s a calm activity that allows the artist to relax and go at their own pace. Diamond art is fun to do either as a solo activity or with family and friends.
Julie Buchanan is going to be giving a Diamond Art instructional class on Tuesday January 16th from 1 to 3pm. We will have kits available for purchase or you may bring your own.
To read more and check out a kit for yourself:
- The 2023 Anthology Creative Fire: Embers and Ashes are here. Come and purchase your very own copy showing the work of our members. You can also purchase one on Amazon from the Life Enrichment Center’s page at the following link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CPDH4HQ3?ref_=pe_93986420_774957520
- Intro to Mah Jongg is full and now has a Waitlist. If you are interested in a future Intro to Mah Jongg class please let us know in person or email us at [email protected] and we will take down your information and let you know when the next class will be starting. If you have not signed up for Intro to Mah Jongg already please do not show up to class.
- Pastels on January 18th is cancelled and will resume on January 25th.
- Tai Chi on January 30th is cancelled and will resume on February 6th.
- Book Club will be meeting January 23rd and this month the discussion is on the ‘Knitting Yarns’ essays, edited by Anne Hood.
- Guest instructor Mark Menendez is going to be giving a Colored Pencil Workshop on February 23rd from 10:00am – 3:00pm. The subject is Blue Irises. It is $50 for members and $60 for nonmembers. Scholarships are available. This is an in-person class only and you are advised to bring your lunch. You must sign up to attend, there are only 16 spots available.
- Our main gallery is empty! Artists, please bring in a painting, photograph, or drawing ready to be hung so that these white walls are once again filled with your work.
- Our first Beginning Conversational Spanish class had a great turn out and is full. If you’re interested in a future Beginning Conversational or Intermediate Spanish class please let us know in person or email us at [email protected] and we will take down your information.
- We have brought back the Artist of the Month. Our first two artists are Joyce Sundheim and Sheila Holbrook! If you’d like to be considered, entry tickets are on the resource table, or you can email us at [email protected]. You can also nominate an artist you believe should be highlighted. Names will be pulled at random. Who knows, you could be the artist, author, or photographer next month! Entries end of Feb 3rd.
- Friday January 26th we are going to the Dunedin Miniature Art Show. The signup sheet is available on the resource table, or you can email us at [email protected]. We will need drivers for the carpool. The ticket price is $8. We will be getting lunch after the show.
- We are looking for volunteers for the Florida State Fair to demo their preferred art medium or craft. Shifts are 3 hours and afterwards you can enjoy the fair. We are looking for one volunteer per day, per shift. The signup sheet is on the resource table.
- The Life Enrichment Center is looking for volunteers. Monday, Tuesday, and Friday afternoons, we are seeking out volunteers to work 2 hour shifts. Please speak to Arleen or Morgan if you are interested.
- Have you got your LEC BINGO filled out? Remember you can get some fun prizes when you fill out your BINGO card and turn it in to Arleen or Morgan.