Week of February 4th – February 10th
Did You Know?
Portraits are considered the most difficult subject to capture for an artist. People can be sensitive about how their likeness is captured and you don’t want to insult them. It can be a struggle to capture not only expression but also skin tones. This is where “Practice, practice, practice!” comes into play. Practice your skills often, not just in drawing the basic shapes but also in color matching and scale.
While there are a variety of ways to start on a portrait, many artists agree that a sketch is where to start first. You can do a rough sketch, an underpainting, or even use a projector. The next tip is to practice eyes repeatedly. Then move onto tones starting from the darkest to the lightest. From there you can work on hair, skin tones, and finer details.
Below are several links that go step by step in painting a portraiture.
To read more:
Painting Tutorial Video:
- The 2023 Anthology Creative Fire: Embers and Ashes are here. Come and purchase your very own copy showing the work of our members. You can also purchase one on Amazon from the Life Enrichment Center’s page at the following link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CPDH4HQ3?ref_=pe_93986420_774957520
- Diamond Painting with Julie Buchanan is now on Fridays from 10-12. Join us weekly and enjoy this fun, creative art style. Kits are available for purchase.
- Intro to Mah Jongg is cancelled Monday Feb 5th. Class will resume February 12th.
- Potluck is February 7th at noon.
- Jewelry Workshop is back with Zan on February 9th from 1-3pm. In this workshop, you’ll learn to open and close jump rings and how to use them to make lovely bracelets and necklaces. If you want, you can bring your broken jewelry and learn to fix it yourself. Jump rings will be provided, other supplies may be needed. Contact us with any questions for Zan. This class is in person only.
- Abstract Painting with Sarah Hanson begins Tuesday February 6th. Class goes from 1:00-3:00pm in person and on Zoom. It is $10 for members and $12 for nonmembers. This class will focus on painting more freely and the development of an individual’s artistic process. With an abstract approach, we will examine the principles of art, grow painting skills and work to recognize and release artistic bias. Open to all skill levels.
- Photo Club has two February Field Trips. Weather permitting, Tuesday February 13th they will be going to the Florida State Fair at 3pm, and meeting at Gate 2 at the Florida Center Building. The second field trip is to Eureka Springs Park on Saturday, February 17th at 10am. It is $2 a vehicle for parking. The Photo Club Zoom meeting will be on Wednesday February 21st at 1:30pm.
- Field trip Friday: February 16th we are going to the Dalí Museum. Explore renowned French Impressionist paintings alongside the early Dalí works they inspired. Monet, Renoir, Degas and more. Sign up to join us on a field trip to the Dalí Museum. Please let us know if you’d be willing to drive. We are meeting at the LEC at 10am and will go for lunch after we see the museum.
- The Colored Pencil Workshop is officially FULL. We are thrilled with how many of you are interested. If you’d like to be put on a waitlist for a future class, be sure to let Morgan know.