Life Enrichment Center (LEC) Code of Conduct
This Code of Conduct is intended to encourage behavior that supports the Life Enrichment Center’s primary goal of providing the best possible resources in a warm, welcoming environment. Behavior becomes unacceptable when it interferes with this goal, compromises the rights of others, causes damage to buildings or equipment, and/or causes injury to oneself or others. Those willing to modify unacceptable behavior are always welcome to stay. However, those unable to comply will be asked to leave. If necessary, the authorities will be called. Parents or guardians are responsible for the conduct and safety of persons under their care.
At no time shall participants engage in the following behaviors:
● Abusing or vandalizing the LEC building, materials, equipment, or other property.
● Behaving in a manner which reasonably can be expected to disturb other students or staff.
● Bringing weapons into the LEC unless authorized by law.
● Damaging, destroying, or removing LEC materials without proper permission. (The LEC reserves the right to inspect packages or bags.)
● Failure to follow LEC rules.
● Harassing, intimidating, stalking, or prolonged staring at students or staff.
● Hygiene that is offensive as to constitute a nuisance or health risk to others.
● Illegal activity of any sort.
● Inadequate attire (shirts and shoes are required).
● Leaving individuals, minors, or adults requiring care or supervision unattended for long
periods of time or at closing.
● Loud, boisterous or disruptive behavior.
● Non-payment of class fees or materials costs.
● Operating any radio, telephone, or other device at a volume that disturbs others.
● Disrespect of staff, instructors, students, or guests.
● Smoking (including vaping) or other use of tobacco products inside the LEC.
● Using any service or making any purchase that incurs costs directly to the LEC that has
not been expressly approved by LEC staff.
● Verbal or physical abuse towards LEC students or staff.
● Violation of active trespass warrant.
For Code of Conduct violations, LEC Staff will implement the following:
1. FIRST OFFENSE – VERBAL WARNING
A. Meet with participant to discuss code of conduct violation(s). Discuss specific inappropriate behavior and the violation(s) that occurred.
B. Advise the participant that continued inappropriate behavior may result in suspension from programs.
C. Create a written record of the incident.
2. SECOND OFFENSE – WRITTEN WARNING / POSSIBLE SUSPENSION
A. Send participant a formal written warning with code of conduct violations. Outline specific inappropriate behavior and the violation(s) that occurred.
B. Possibly suspend the participant from the program.
3. THIRD OFFENSE – SUSPENSION
A. Send participant a formal written notice of suspension with code of conduct violations. Outline specific inappropriate behavior and the violation(s) that occurred.
4. INCIDENTS OF IMMINENT DANGER – IMMEDIATE REMOVAL FROM FACILITY
A. Handle imminent danger to persons or property as a police matter.
B. When appropriate, call 911 to protect the safety of staff and students.
Documents used to help establish this Code of Conduct:
● Code of Conduct for Hillsborough County Public Library System
● Senior Center Code of Conduct – City of Concord