Week of Jan 7th – Jan 13th
Did You Know?
Chair Yoga is just as beneficial as Yoga. You can perform all the same movements and forms, with the aid of a chair. Using the chair for seated poses allows you to take advantage of all the benefits of yoga without the fear of losing balance or falling. It makes yoga accessible to anyone who has mobility issues, is disabled, injured, or otherwise unable to use a yoga mat.
The benefits of Chair Yoga includes:
- increased flexibility
- improved balance and strength
- increased mindfulness
- increased blood circulation
- better sleep
- reduced anxiety and stress
- improved pain management and more
We offer Chair Yoga on Fridays from 11:00am – 12:15pm with Debbie Palumbo. Stop in for a few classes and feel the benefits for yourself.
To read more about Chair Yoga and sits many benefits:
- The 2023 Anthology Creative Fire: Embers and Ashes are here. Come and purchase your very own copy showing the work of our members. You can also purchase one on Amazon from the Life Enrichment Center’s page at the following link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CPDH4HQ3?ref_=pe_93986420_774957520
- Our main gallery is empty! Artists, please bring in a painting, photograph, or drawing ready to be hung so that these white walls are once again filled with your work.
- Julie Buchanan is going to be giving a Diamond Art instructional class on Tuesday January 9th and on Tuesday January 16th from 1 to 3pm. We will have the kits available for purchase or you may bring your own.
- Artist Conversations is January 10th. We are bringing in Guest Speaker Tilly Strauss from 12 to 1. She will speak on her inspirations, artistic process, and passion project “Who is She?”. There will be light refreshments provided.
- Beginners Conversational Spanish with Ricardo Cruz is on Thursday mornings from 10 to noon. It begins on January 11th and runs through February 15th. You must sign up to attend.
- Encaustic Painting is Saturday January 13th from 10 to 3 with It is one day only and you will be leaving with two, beautiful finished pieces. This type of art involves a hot wax medium mixed with pigment and a prepared wood board or canvas. Don’t miss out on your chance to learn about this unique technique. Sign up is available on the resource table. Scholarships are available for this class. You must sign up to attend.
- Intro to Mah Jongg with instructor Alice Webb starts on Monday, January 22nd from 1-3 and will last for 6 weeks. This class is for those wanting to learn how to play. The signup sheet is on the resource table in the activity room or you can email us at [email protected].
- We have brought back the Artist of the Month. Our first two artists are Joyce Sundheim and Sheila Holbrook! If you’d like to be considered, entry tickets are on the resource table, or you can email us at [email protected]. You can also nominate an artist you believe should be highlighted. Names will be pulled at random. Who knows, you could be the artist, author, or photographer next month! Entries end of Feb 3rd.
- Friday January 26th we are going to the Dunedin Miniature Art Show. The signup sheet is available on the resource table, or you can email us at [email protected]. We will need drivers for the carpool. The ticket price is $8.
- We are looking for volunteers for the Florida State Fair to demo their preferred art medium or craft. Shifts are 3 hours from 10am to 1pm or 11am to 2pm. We are looking for one volunteer per day, per shift. The signup sheet is on the resource table.
- The Life Enrichment Center is looking for volunteers. Monday, Tuesday, and Friday afternoons, we are seeking out volunteers to work 2 hour shifts. Please speak to Arleen or Morgan if you are interested.