Week of January 28th – February 3rd
Did You Know?
Pastels are considered to be the first artistic medium? No really. Pure pigment was ground from rocks and the earth then mixed with water or spit and then applied to a surface such as a cave wall. Some of the earliest works date back to 20,000 years ago in French caves.
Since then pastels have evolved in type, texture, and methods. There is a variety of forms pastels can come in: soft pastels, oil pastels, pastel pencils, and powdered pastel pigment. The application onto a readied medium such as paper or board can vary just as much from sharp and defined strokes to broad, sweeping strokes. It’s a dynamic medium that has withstood the test of time.
Want to try them out for yourself? Join our Pastel class, Thursdays from 1-3pm with Janice Schindle.
To read more:
- The 2023 Anthology Creative Fire: Embers and Ashes are here. Come and purchase your very own copy showing the work of our members. You can also purchase one on Amazon from the Life Enrichment Center’s page at the following link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CPDH4HQ3?ref_=pe_93986420_774957520
- Tai Chi on January 30th is cancelled and will resume on February 6th.
- Diamond Painting with Julie Buchanan is now a January weekly class. Join us on Tuesday from 1-3 and enjoy this fun, creative art style. Kits are available for purchase. On February 9th Diamond painting will be moving from Tuesday afternoon to Friday mornings, 10-noon.
- Beginning Conversational Spanish with Ricardo Cruz has a secondary time available, Monday morning, 10-12. If you cannot make the Thursday class, join us on Monday.
- Potluck is Wednesday, February 7th at noon.
- Jewelry Workshop is back with Zan on February 9th from 1-3pm. In this workshop, you’ll learn to open and close jump rings and how to use them to make lovely bracelets and necklaces. If you want, you can bring your broken jewelry and learn to fix it yourself. Jump rings will be provided, other supplies may be needed. Contact us with any questions for Zan. This class is in person only.
- Abstract Painting with Sarah Hanson begins Tuesday February 6th. Class goes from 1:00-3:00pm in person and on Zoom. It is $10 for members and $12 for nonmembers. This class will focus on painting more freely and the development of individuals artistic process. With an abstract approach, we will examine the principles of art, grow painting skills and work to recognize and release artistic bias. Open to all skill levels.
- Photo Club has two February Field Trips. Weather permitting, Tuesday February 13th they will be going to the Florida State Fair at 3pm, and meeting at Gate 2 at the Florida Center Building. The second field trip is to Eureka Springs Park on Saturday, February 17th at 10am. It is $2 a vehicle for parking. The Photoclub Zoom meeting will be on Wednesday February 21st at 1:30pm.
- We have brought back the Artist of the Month. Our January artists are Joyce Sundheim and Sheila Holbrook! If you’d like to be considered, entry tickets are on the resource table, or you can email us at [email protected]. You can also nominate an artist you believe should be highlighted. Names will be pulled at random. Who knows, you could be the artist, author, or photographer next month!
- Field trip Friday: February 16th we are going to the Dalí Museum. Explore renowned French Impressionist paintings alongside the early Dalí works they inspired. Monet, Renoir, Degas and more. Sign up to join us on a field trip to the Dalí Museum. Please let us know if you’d be willing to drive. We are meeting at the LEC at 10am and will go for lunch after we see the museum.
- The Colored Pencil Workshop class is officially FULL. We are thrilled with how many of you are interested. If you’d like to be put on a waitlist for a future class, be sure to let Morgan know.
- Have you gotten Bingo? You can win free classes for a week or one free class for a whole month. Turn in your completed Bingo cards to Morgan or Arleen.