Paperclay Open Studio
IN PERSON CLASS ONLY
Teacher: Maureen Murphy
Time: 10 am to 12 pm
Members: $8:00 / Non Members $10
During this weekly class, students will explore building armatures and sculpting with paper clay (or air-dry clay)!
Unlike traditional clays that need to be fired in a kiln, paper/air-dry clays harden and cure at room temperature. Once dry, the pieces can be painted and decorated in a variety of ways.
In this class students will learn: how to construct armatures (the frameworks on which a clay sculpture is molded) using foil, Styrofoam, wire, cardboard, etc.; how to mix and sculpt with paper/air-dry clay; how to apply acrylic paint to finished pieces; and how to create mixed media and/or assemblage pieces.
Clay can be purchased at the LEC!
Please bring the following materials with you to class:
- Sturdy poster board or cardboard (for your work platform and to transport pieces to and from home)
- Aluminum foil (1 roll)
- Parchment paper (1 roll)
- Masking tape
- Acrylic paints, including metallic paints
- White gesso
- Cheap, hard-bristle paint brushes
- Aleene’s Tacky Glue
- E6000 glue
- Styrofoam (balls, eggs, sheets)
- Wood (dowels, bbq skewers)
- Wire (for hanging pieces)
- Miscellaneous clay tools (dental tools, popsicle sticks, etc.)
Artist and instructor Maureen Murphy will offer one-on-one instruction, critique, inspiration, and support.
- For those who have had vaccines, masks will be optional
- 6 foot Social Distancing will be practiced.
- Please bring your own drinks, or snacks, none will be provided.
- We highly recommend that you have been vaccinated for the safety of yourself and our members.
- In person attendance will be limited!
- You must sign up at the form below, sign ups will be on a first come first serve basis.
- If the class is full, you may sign up for the next week’s class, by going back to the calendar and clicking on that day’s class.
Please read the following questions before registering for class:
In an effort to reduce the risk of Coronavirus variants exposure and to help prevent the spread of the virus, you may not register for class or enter the building if you have had any recent exposure to the COVID virus.
If you answer YES to any of these questions, please DO NOT sign up for an in-person class– (you are most welcome to attend via zoom).
Are you having an Coronavirus symptoms such as fever, shortness of breath, cough, or loss of taste or smell, loss of hearing?
Any other flu or cold symptoms such as new gastrointestinal upset, nausea, stomach pain, loss of appetite, vomiting, joint pain, headache, or fatigue?
Have you had contact with any confirmed or suspected Covid -19 positive patients in the last 14 days?
Are you or anyone in your household in quarantine?
Have you traveled outside of our region in the past 14 days?
If you answered NO to ALL of these questions, you may register for an in-person class.
If you have answered YES to one or more questions, you may not register for an in-person class or enter the LEC building!
Please remember to wear a mask upon entering our building!