In Person Only
Instructor: Vickie Fisher
Time: Wednesdays 1pm-3pm
Cost: Members $12 / Nonmembers $14
Creative Clay combines sculpting and using discarded trash, recycle, and upcycle. It is an incredibly fun, hands-on class that will allow you to explore fiber air-dry clay, sculpting, and mixed media assemblage. Let your imagination go wild! The sky is the limit on what you can create.
During this weekly class, students will explore building armatures and sculpting with air-dry clay. Unlike traditional clays that need to be fired in a kiln, paper clay or air-dry clay hardens and cures at room temperature. Once dry, the pieces can be painted with acrylic paint and decorated in a variety of ways.
Students will learn how to construct armatures, or the frameworks on which the clay sculpture is molded, using foil, Styrofoam, wire, or cardboard; how to mix and sculpt with air-dry clay; how to apply acrylic paint to finished pieces; and how to create mixed media or assemblage pieces.
Artist and instructor Vickie Fisher will guide students through the steps of creation and sculpting. She will offer one-on-one instruction, critique, inspiration, and support.
Student Supply List
- Cardboard (for work platform)
- Box to take project back home
- 1 roll aluminum foil (has many uses and will be discussed in class)
- Parchment paper (not required but good for your work surfaces, but you can also use foil)
- 3M masking tape (will be used a lot)
- Paper towels (for clean up and drybrush painting)
- Baby wipes (helps to take off clay and clean your hands)
- Acrylic paints, including metallic paints, and brushes (any brand; cheap is good)
- White gesso or black gesso (for the first base)
- Aleene’s Tacky Glue (works great for repairs)
- Styrofoam, if needed for your project (balls, eggs, sheets)
- Wood, if needed for your project (dowels, bbq skewers)
- Wire, if needed for your project (for hanging pieces)
- Miscellaneous clay tools (dental tools, popsicle sticks, etc.)
***Clay will be available to purchase at the LEC